Monday, April 13, 2015

Book Reviews: Eye of the Oracle and Enoch's Ghost


Eye of the Oracle by Bryan Davis


Enoch's Ghost by Bryan Davis


Recommended For: Ages 13 to Adult

Rating: PG, probably

What ancient mysteries lurk behind the amazing stories in the Dragons in our Midst series? Eye of the Oracle takes the reader back in time to the days when dragons abounded. From the era just before Noah’s ark, through the battles between dragons and mankind in the time of King Arthur, and to the haunting presence of dragons in our day, this stunning prequel reveals the mysteries that led to the bestselling fantasy adventure that began with Raising Dragons. How did dragons survive the flood? Who helped preserve an ancient evil force that led to the dragons’ demise in the days of King Arthur? What heroic sacrifices kept that evil from exterminating the dragon race forever? If you enjoyed the heart-stopping action and spiritual depth of the first four books in this series, you won’t want to miss the astonishing story that began it all. Eye of the Oracle will captivate young and old alike, and it will challenge every reader to search deep within for answers to the mysteries in their own hearts.

Yes, two books. I read these books very close together almost two weeks ago and because it's been a crazy two weeks together with my grandma and her friend visiting, stuff happening with our house that is on the market, and having a word count contest with my sister, the two books have blended into one in my mind. Plus I have a headache and pollen is high. Thank goodness last week was spring break or I really would have gone crazy.

Bryan Davis's books are weird. A good weird, but still weird. These were no exception. No spoilers, but it contains the Lake of Fire. Just saying.

Writing: 5/5

The writing was really good. Lots of action, well done, no typos. Gah, I'm having trouble concentrating.

Setting: 5/5

Well, they're set in a variety of places. All of them are well-done. I liked the world before the flood, and the ark. All the places were very vibrant. You could feel like you were there.

Plot: 5/5

The pot of the first one was a little...um. But it was still really good. And I really liked the plot of the second book. It was really exciting.

Character Development: 5/5

Really good. I liked Sapphire Adi, and Morgana was a good villain. I loved Naamah and what happened with her in the second book. I really like Elam. And I'm glad Walter and Ashley were in the second book. I can't wait to read more about Bonnie and Billy.

I'm really glad I read these books and everyone else should as well. I can't wait to read the last two books I'm borrowing from a friend, although I'm a little scared because my friend said there are a lot of people that die and...stay dead. Not something Bryan Davis does very often in Dragons in Our Midst and Oracles of Fire. Anyways, I hope you got sense out of that review. Here's to another hectic week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think! We love to hear what others think of these books and movies. We just ask that you would please keep your comments clean. We are a kid-friendly site.