Monday, June 30, 2014

Book Review: The Ruins of Gorlan

Ranger's Apprentice: The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan


Recommended for: Ages 10-Adult

 Rating: PG for violent images mild language

They have always scared him in the past — the Rangers, with their dark cloaks and shadowy ways. The villagers believe the Rangers practice magic that makes them invisible to ordinary people. And now 15-year-old Will, always small for his age, has been chosen as a Ranger's apprentice. What he doesn't yet realize is that the Rangers are the protectors of the kingdom. Highly trained in the skills of battle and surveillance, they fight the battles before the battles reach the people. And as Will is about to learn, there is a large battle brewing. The exiled Morgarath, Lord of the Mountains of Rain and Night, is gathering his forces for an attack on the kingdom. This time, he will not be denied....

I got this book from the library and finished it the same day. I enjoyed this book very much. Even though it isn't Christian fantasy, it is moralistic, and while it doesn't promote Christianity, it doesn't condemn it, either.  I really liked this about it. 

Writing: 4.5/5
This book was well-written. It drew me into the story and no mistakes ever drew me out. The descriptions were vibrant and the dialogue lively. The one thing that made me take half a star away was minor swearing. The author is from Australia, so the swearing is probably not swearing in Australia, but still, I took half a star away because of it. And just a warning, there is one kiss in it.

Setting: 5/5
The book is set in a fantasy world. It is very well developed. There is just one rational race (humans) but there are fictional beasts named Wargals and Kalkara. These were very well-done. I feel like I'm repeating myself in every review, but the setting was well-done.

Plot: 5/5
The plot was well-thought-out . It was exciting and gripping. I couldn't put this book down because of it.

Character Development: 5/5
This was the part that was the best. The characters were wonderful. I loved the main character Will, and the Ranger Halt. The minor characters were good as well, not flat or typical.

This book was amazing!!! It lived up to my expectations and more! I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a clean, good, non-magical fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think! We love to hear what others think of these books and movies. We just ask that you would please keep your comments clean. We are a kid-friendly site.