Monday, September 14, 2015

Book Review: Dragons in our Midst: Tears of a Dragon

Tears of a Dragon by Bryan Davis

Rating: PG-13

Recommended for: Ages 13 and up

Victory in the Circles of Seven came at a great cost to Billy Bannister and Bonnie Silver. A vicious evil was unleashed on the earth that only the dragons can defeat. With Billy’s father, the great Clefspeare, missing, Billy and Bonnie must lead the dragons into war against the Watchers—demonic beings as old as the earth itself. Masters at the art of deception, the Watchers use the deadliest of weapons against mankind. A remnant of wise humans, the friends of the dragons, unite in the struggle against the Watchers. With heart-stopping action, the final battle between dragons and their enemies comes to a climax. But in order to win the war, at least one of the dragons must die.
    As the story ends, Billy and Bonnie are faced with the greatest decision of their lives. Will they keep the dragon traits that have cost them so much danger and heartache, or will they turn to normal human life and end the slayers’ lust for their blood forever.

Writing: 4/5
 This book is interesting and exciting but there isn't as much time for the characters as there is in the other books. The beginning of the finale seemed to start a little too early in the book but since it's the series finale, it is not a big deal. I do wish that there was a little more to the story though. The characters split up into two main groups. The pacing for one of the groups was done well and I really enjoyed that story-line. The finale was epic and sad, really sad, and I wish that there was a little more of conclusion. There is a sequel series and I hope that my questions will get answered. I found one typo but it wasn't one that changed the meaning of the sentence.

Setting: 5/5

 There is not much to the setting that is new. They are back in America spending most of their time in West Virginia and Maryland. They are are mostly in the woods and they go to a park, which I think was a state park. The park and the woods seemed accurate to the Eastern United States, though there was nothing really special about it other than the cave and a lake. I liked how there was a visitor's center which is definitely accurate. There is a scene in an airport. I don't know how accurate the airport was since the only time I've been in a commercial airport was when I was three, but it was probably accurate for when it was written. They also go to Dragon's Rest which is like one of the Circles in Circles of Seven. I'm not sure if it was one of the circles.

Plot: 4/5

 The main plot is to defeat Morgan le Fay and the Watchers, demons, and save the world in doing so. Even though the villains are demons, they are not really scary, probably a little less scary than Frank Peretti's children's series. The other plot is about Billy looking for his father. Both plots come together in the finale.

Characters: 3/5

 There wasn't much time for the characters, but they are still themselves and don't act outside of their characters. Some of them have grown from the first book, which seemed to be realistic. There is one new character that I wished that there was more of near the end of the book and I hope that there is more in the next series. Walter is an especially interesting character and I like it when he and Ashley are together. I think that Bryan Davis's characters in more recent series are better done, but this was his first series and I still like them and I want to find out what happens to them next.

 Although I didn't review the second book of this series, it is probably my favorite of the Dragons in our Midst series and I would recommend it. I liked this book, even though I wasn't completely satisfied with the ending, and I do recommend it as a good Christian fantasy series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think! We love to hear what others think of these books and movies. We just ask that you would please keep your comments clean. We are a kid-friendly site.