Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Movie Review: The Sorcerer's Apprentice

The Sorcerer's Apprentice by Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment


Recommended For: Ages Eight to Adult
Rating: PG for fantasy action violence, some mild rude humor and brief language
Balthazar Blake (Nicolas Cage) is a master sorcerer in modern-day Manhattan trying to defend the city from his arch-nemesis, Maxim Horvath (Alfred Molina). Balthazar can't do it alone, so he recruits Dave Stutler (Jay Baruchel), a seemingly average guy who demonstrates hidden potential, as his reluctant protégé. The sorcerer gives his unwilling accomplice a crash course in the art and science of magic, and together, these unlikely partners work to stop the forces of darkness. It'll take all the courage Dave can muster to survive his training, save the city and get the girl as he becomes The Sorcerer's Apprentice.               
On one of our trips to Walt Disney World, they were advertising this movie a lot. The only thing I got from the advertisements was that it had something to do with Mickey? Or maybe not. I can't really be blamed if I thought of Fantasia when I saw the advertisements. I wasn't that interested, and I certainly didn't expect I would ever actually see it. So when my dad turned The Sorcerer's Apprentice on after Once Upon a Time (the new season of which I refuse to watch), not really knowing what it is, and Bekah said it was The Sorcerer's Apprentice, I was very surprised, but I wanted to watch it. So we did, and my sisters and I actually stayed up until 11:30 to finish it.
Technical: 5/5
I know I've stated it before. Disney does great on the technical stuff. They always do. I'm not a huge fan of Nicholas Cage, but he wasn't too bad. Funny thing, the moment I got a clear shot of young Dave's face, I said "Isn't he the kid from Night at the Museum?" He was. And right when I heard the regular Dave's voice, I was like "I've heard his voice before. I haven't seen him act in anything, but I know I've heard his voice before." A couple lines later: "Is he Hiccup? I think he did Hiccup's voice." And he did. I enjoyed seeing Jay Baruchel and listening to his Hiccup voice. (Confession: I actually like Dave a bit better than the Hiccup in the movie.) The special effects were great, and the actors were stellar (though again, I'm not a big fan of Nicholas Cage).
Setting: 5/5
New York City. Such a strange city it is. It really isn't hard to get wrong as a setting, especially when you're filming there. (At least, I would assume...) Even though I've never been to New York City, I'm pretty sure they got the setting good on this one.
Plot: 4/5
Okay, I'm trying to hold back and not give 5 to every single book and movie that comes along that I like. I mean, of course the plot could have been a bit better, but since it's a Disney movie, I'm not expecting them to complicate things. Honestly, though, it really could have been better. I can't put my finger on why exactly it didn't feel quite cohesive or...something, just...it didn't quite deserve five and I can't quite articulate why. Just...they could have made it better. More epic. Or something.
Character Development: 4/5
I've seen better, especially from Disney, but it wasn't bad either. I don't feel as if I got to know the characters as well as I could have, but I did feel as if I knew them. Just more like acquaintances than actual friends. I did like Dave, and Balthazar wasn't bad. And I did like Becky and Veronica. Horvath was a good bad guy, if a bit Disney-typical. They were certainly enjoyable.
This was a unique movie that is definitely worth watching. It is enjoyable and fun, and even has the Fantasia broom sequence in the middle, which I loved. This is a very entertaining movie that is fun for the whole family.

2 comments:

Tell us what you think! We love to hear what others think of these books and movies. We just ask that you would please keep your comments clean. We are a kid-friendly site.