Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Movie Reviews: Sleeping Beauty

Sleeping Beauty


Recommended For: All Ages

Rating: G

Princess Aurora is cursed by the evil witch Maleficent - who declares that before Aurora reaches her 16th birthday she will die by pricking her finger on the spindle of a spinning-wheel. To try to prevent this, the king places her into hiding, in the care of three good-natured - but not too bright - fairies.

We really haven't been watching many movies lately. We decided that since we were going to check out Maleficent from the library and watch it soon, we might as well re-watch Sleeping Beauty. 

Technical: 5/5
Um...the movie was made in 1959. For the 21st century, the animation wasn't top-notch, but this movie was made back in the days when it was really big to have three dimensions in your animated films. So, taking that into account, and taking into the account the fact that it was made by Walt Disney, and anything done by Walt Disney is going to be top of the line (just look at Walt Disney World, for instance), I decided to give it five stars.

Setting: 5/5
It's unclear where exactly the story is set. It is made known several times in the movie that it is the 14th century, and the times seem to be pretty accurate for an animated fantasy movie, not that I know much about the life and times of the 1300s, but still.

Plot: 4/5
Everyone knows the plot of Sleeping Beauty. And, I must say, it's a pretty good one. Although, the whole I-just-met-this-girl-a-couple-of-minutes-ago-but-I-want-to-marry-her thing and the I-just-met-this-stranger-in-the-woods-but-when-I-find-out-I'm-betrothed-to-a-prince-I'll-cry-hysterically thing kind of put me off. I don't really like rushed romances. ("You can't marry a man you just met!") That's why I took away a star. Other than that it was good. Oh, and Maleficent considering herself a villain...villains think they're the hero of their story, not the evil one. But that's kind of typical in Disney movies.

Character Development: 5/5
You kind of don't get to know Aurora that well since she's kind of asleep most of the movie, but that's okay, since she's not really the protagonist. What?!? But yeah, she's really not. Prince Phillip isn't either, although he is the hero of the story. Sometimes the hero of the story and the protagonist aren't the same person, and in this case, they're not. Flora, Fauna, and Merriweather are the protagonists, and they make good ones, too. They're well-developed. While I wouldn't exactly say that Prince Phillip was well-developed, he's not exactly a flat cardboard cutout either. I'd say, for an early Disney movie, the characters are very well done.

Of course, it's not necessary for me to recommend Sleeping Beauty, but I will anyway. I think everyone should watch it at least once. And while it may not be my favorite Sleeping Beauty retelling, it's certainly one of the most classic ones.

So long!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think! We love to hear what others think of these books and movies. We just ask that you would please keep your comments clean. We are a kid-friendly site.