Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Book Review: The Blades of Acktar: Deny

The Blades of Acktar: Deny by Tricia Mingerink


Recommended For: Ages 13 to Adult

Rating: PG-13 (for violence and thematic content)

All lies have consequences.

Promoted to top rank among King Respen's assassins, First Blade Leith Torren hides his involvement with the Resistance. How many lies will it take to protect his secret?

Renna Faythe has done nothing but survive for the past four years, but now Leith's courage inspires her to something more. If only she could figure out what that duty might be. 

When the unthinkable happens, faith wavers. Friendships tear. What else will they be forced to deny?

But this time, Leith faces his greatest fear.

He can't save everyone.

Oh, my goodness. I don't know if I've read a more intense book. It's hard to say whether a lot of horrible stuff happens to the characters, but the intensity...wow.

Writing: 4.9/5
The only complaint I have is typos. There were less of them than in the first book, but they were still there, mainly missing or misplaced commas and places where I suspected words were missing. Other than that, the writing was superb. And by that I mean, it didn't pull me out of the story at all, because other than that, I didn't notice a thing about the writing. I was too engrossed in the writing.

Setting: 5/5
It's the same setting as before. I still am not quite sure whether it's supposed to be in a fantasy world or an unspecified medieval time (I'm leaning towards the fantasy world), but honestly, I didn't even care. The story was way too important to worry about that sort of thing. Other than that, though, the setting and descriptions were honestly great. They were very well-written and gave me just the right amount of detail to paint a clear picture in my mind.

Plot: 5/5
So. Intense. Seriously, my heart was pounding throughout the whole book. It was just...wow. It was a really good plot. I really don't know what to say. It was really really good, but intense, and not exactly the happiest ending and Leith's gonna die and...yeah. It was amazing.

Character Development: 5/5
Did I mention these characters are amazing? They're so true to life. I loved Renna's character arch, and of course Leith. It'll be really nice when they finally get together. Brandi was just as amazing as ever, and I loved the addition of Jamie. There wasn't as much Shadrach as I would have liked, but hopefully in the next book. And King Respen. Wow. He's dangerous, that's for certain. I hate what happened to Uncle Abel and Aunt Mara, but among all the other things that happened, it hasn't really sunk in yet. Also Lord Alistair... Anyway. I guess I can mourn later. The characters were just as good in this book, if not better.

I could say so much more good stuff about this amazing book, but I should probably stop here before I go on a rant about how good it was. And I really, really, really need Book 3. Will it come out soon? Please?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think! We love to hear what others think of these books and movies. We just ask that you would please keep your comments clean. We are a kid-friendly site.