Thursday, January 14, 2016

Movie Review: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Star Wars: The Force Awakens


Recommended For: Ages 8 to Adult

Rating: PG-13 (for sci-fi action violence)

Thirty years after the defeat of Darth Vader and the Empire, Rey, a scavenger from the planet Jakku, finds a BB-8 droid that knows the whereabouts of the long-lost Luke Skywalker. Rey, as well as a rogue stormtrooper and two space smugglers, are thrown into the middle of a battle between the Resistance and the daunting legions of the First Order.

As C-3PO would say it, Oh, my goodness gracious me. I mean, wow. I thought Disney buying Star Wars was a big disaster sure not to end well. Turns out, it was the best thing that could have ever happened to it. Oh my word, it was awesome.

Technical: 5/5

I had no doubt that the technical part of the movie would be done right. And Disney didn't let me down. It was amazing (now in high-definition!) Plus, I loved all the subtle throwbacks even in this aspect to the Original Trilogy (the best trilogy). It really had a more Original Trilogy feel, which I loved.

Setting: 5/5
It's pretty obvious what the setting is: A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... Other than that connection, though, there aren't really many settings that are repeated from the first six movies other than the Millennium Falcon. Contrary to what the trailers lead you to believe, Rey is never on Tatooine in the movie. The desert she is shown in is actually on the planet Jakku. That being said, the settings were superb and built really well.

Plot: 5/5
Oh, my word. This is where I knew the movie would fly or fail, and boy, did it fly. Actually it flew me away from the theater and jumped into hyperspace with me an unwilling prisoner, but anyway. The plot was so good and amazing and...horribly emotional. The event that propels the main character into the climax, when the bad guy kills you-know-who, was horrible and awful, and yet not extraneous at all. (Darn you, Disney!) The plot was so well-done, not only in the individual story, but also in contributing to the over-arching series arc. Very well done.

Character Development: 5/5
I knew from the start this part would probably be good. I wasn't wrong. The screenwriters did a really good job of not only bringing along old characters and maturing them realistically, but also introducing new characters we have now fallen in love with just as much. I sincerely like Rey, Finn, and Poe (oh, my goodness, Poe, his sense of humor is gold) and I can't wait to see more of them. Han and Chewie were amazing, as was Leia, and may I mention Rey again? She was amazing. And then there's the monster Kylo Ren, who is wonderfully well done and yet I hate him to pieces. And then there's Supreme Leader Snoke. I can't wait to see him develop more throughout, and the fact that he's played by Andy Serkis (a guy who plays an amazing villain) makes me excited.

In short, this may possibly be the best Star Wars movie yet. (I know, shocking, right?) It also claims the title of the first movie ever to make me cry. So go watch it. Fly along in the Millennium Falcon and get your heart ripped out. There will be tears. Oh, and don't try to watch it if you haven't seen the Original Trilogy, otherwise it won't even make the least bit of sense. But unless you really want to, you don't have to suffer through the bad acting and writing in the Prequel Trilogy if you want to see this movie. So go watch the new Star Wars! Trust me, you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think! We love to hear what others think of these books and movies. We just ask that you would please keep your comments clean. We are a kid-friendly site.